MBA Luxury Brand Management

MBA Luxury Brand Management
Class of 2016-2017

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Where are they now? An interview with alumnus Stella King ‘05

Where does an MBA in International Luxury Brand Management from ESSEC take you? In honor of ESSEC’s sponsorship of the INYT Luxury Conference, whose 2013 theme is luxury in South East Asia, we followed up with an alumnus who has built her career in the region.

Stella King ’05, President of Moncler Asia Pacific, shares her experience:

Describe your career path after your graduation from ESSEC. What is your current role and its responsibilities?

After Essec, I joined Gucci Group (now named "Kering Group") as a brand manager for Sergio Rossi. One year later, I was promoted to Brand Director. Then in 2008 I became the president of Sergio Rossi for Asia Pacific business.

In late 2011, I joined Moncler as Asia Pacific President. This is my current role and I take care of Moncler business in Asia, except Japan.

Was there anything particular about the Luxury MBA that helped prepare you for your career path or qualify you for your current position?

My biggest achievement at ESSEC was acquiring a deeper understanding of decision-making in different cultures and based on different perceptions. I also started to really understand how to work in a team and how qualified team work should be.

Why is South East Asia an important region for the luxury industry? What does the region offer in terms of luxury producers and consumers?

South East Asia has a diversified culture, a welcoming attitude/system, and a rich base. Singapore is the most important international port in South East Asia and it has a well-planned system. The key thing for brands developing their South Asian business is to maximize their logistical advantage and to capitalize on the financial environment.

How are luxury retailers adapting to the South East Asian market?

One example is colors. Most brands’ products are more colorful in South East Asia.

What advice would you give for current students and recent graduates who want to work in South East Asia?

Understand the local culture/customers/weather. South East Asia is made up of many different countries. Understanding a particular environment and targeting those customers is the only way to access that market.