MBA Luxury Brand Management

MBA Luxury Brand Management
Class of 2016-2017

Friday, October 9, 2015

Meet the Students - Jahnavi Tampi

Jahnavi Tampi has just started her MBA in International Luxury Brand Management journey. At the age of 26 she has already enjoyed a successful career at ELLE as well as started her own business. Learn more about Jahnavi and why she decided to come to ESSEC Business School...

What were you doing before you joined the MBA in International Luxury Brand Management program?

I started my career as a Fashion Stylist at ELLE India. As a young girl I dreamt of being a stylist, so when I got the opportunity to intern at ELLE India I grabbed it. After months of toiling as an assistant, making sample call in’s, multiple coffee runs and steaming clothes, I got offered a permanent position. I worked my way up the ladder and ended up at the position of Senior Stylist. I had the privilege to attend national and international fashion weeks, meet the fashion influencers of the country, create fashion stories, travel to the most exquisite locations for shoots and interview the most intriguing talent in the country. After 3 years I knew there was more I could achieve. Along with an amazing Founder and a team of young creative women we started a company called The Label Corp. This was a boutique private label composing of three website that retailed online; www.thehomelabel.com offering home accessories www.theclosetlabel.com for fashion apparel and www.thetrunklabel.com for fashion accessories. Each of these labels was curated by a celebrity tastemaker from India. Since it was a start up I had the challenge of handling myriad responsibilities, starting off with product development, then moving on to content and communication and finally managing alliances and offline marketing activities. The experience I received with the hands on approach that a start up requires and seeing the company grow from seed to getting funded by venture capitalists was a once in a lifetime opportunity. This time in my career helped me get a good perspective on being an entrepreneur and all that goes with it.

Why did you decide to join the MBA?

I have always felt undying passion for the luxury industry. This love began when I worked at ELLE magazine and got the opportunity to deal with the brand managers of the top luxury brands in the country. I was invited to all the collection previews and sent to interview international brands that came into India. My love for this industry grew each time we had to style a shoot; we would call in for the latest pieces, off the runway of these luxury brands. Being able to touch and feel the products and finally styling them together to create a fashion story that appeals to our Indian reader gave me a rush and I knew this was my calling.  When I worked at The Label Corp, I had this urge to turn The Label Corp into a luxury label and my daydreams saw no bounds. After speaking to some very helpful ESSEC alumni I knew I had to take the plunge. Doing an MBA in International Luxury Brand Management was the only next step and ESSEC being the top most school in the industry was an obvious choice. Besides where can you learn best about luxury but France?!

What do you hope to achieve throughout the year?

Since I haven’t directly worked in the luxury industry I am aiming to learn everything I can about this world from the best faculty one can ask for, most of who have had years of experience being top management in the industry. I believe luxury is driven by excitement, passion and creativity. Learning from classmates who have such diverse cultural and professional backgrounds is something I am looking forward to. Each one of us has something unique to bring to the table and that’s what makes this year so exciting for me.

What are your professional goals after you finish the MBA?

With my experience in fashion I always believed I would end up working in fashion or accessories. But as I learn more about beauty, my love for this industry grows. I am open to falling in love with different categories in the luxury world and only time will tell what lies ahead for me. Meeting the industry insiders from the top brands and listening to them enlighten us about the different opportunities available in the luxury world is the perfect guidance once needs. Since I have a background in the digital space I would like to explore that aspect of the luxury world as well.

What advice would you give to someone who is applying to the program?

It is a brilliant program and the best one in this field. If you have a true passion for luxury your job is half done. It is a small class and only the best of the best get in. The MBA in International Luxury Brand Management is meant for individuals coming from interesting backgrounds that have one thing in common; a lust for luxury! I am two weeks into the coarse and the workload is piling up, so note it’s a very serious MBA. But through this time you will get to meet, experience and learn about the most exquisite things about luxury and I guarantee it will be the best year of your life.