MBA Luxury Brand Management

MBA Luxury Brand Management
Class of 2016-2017

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Meet the Students - Joshua Tierney from the United States

• What were you doing before you joined the MBA in International Luxury Brand Management program?

Before joining the MBA in International Luxury Brand Management, I was working in New York as the Executive Creative Director of an Catering and Event Planning company. I managed the design team and conceptualized and produced events for high-profile corporate and private clients, and looked after marketing initiatives as well.  I was also an adjunct instructor at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

• Why did you decide to join the MBA?

I have always believed that the most successful artists, designers, and creatives are those who have a solid understanding of business. I attended design school for my undergraduate degrees and have always worked in creative industries. I joined the MBA to build a stronger foundation in business and for a diverse, international experience. Fashion and design are in my DNA - I attended FIT in New York and have always worked in and around luxury fashion, hospitality, and design.  

• What do you hope to achieve throughout the year?

I hope to achieve a deeper understanding of all aspects of the luxury business. ESSEC's rich industry relationships have already begun to facilitate this learning goal. Pushing beyond my comfort zone with regards to my current professional knowledge and core competencies will give me a broader and more well-rounded perspective of business. I hope to gain a deeper understanding of myself and the world around me, personally and professionally.

•     What are your professional goals after you finish the MBA?

In the short to mid term, I would like to build upon what I was doing pre-MBA. I'd like to apply my knowledge of event and design management for the fashion or beauty businesses in a role that melds creativity and business. Product development, marketing, visual merchandising - there are many functions that I am interested in. Career satisfaction is very linked with passion and professional fulfillment for me - I have to love what I'm doing. 

•     What advice would you give to someone who is applying to the program?

Think long and hard about what you want to do and what your options are. I researched MBA programs for three years by visiting schools, talking to alumni, and defining who am I was and who I want to become in the future.  Ultimately, I applied only to ESSEC because it was the only program that resonated with me. You will give up a lot to join the program - most likely your friends, family, country, job, and income, among other things.  But you will gain a lot, too - knowledge, a deeper understanding of yourself, new friends, new experiences, and a professional network that will take you into the next chapters of your career.  Know who you are, and be true to yourself.