MBA Luxury Brand Management

MBA Luxury Brand Management
Class of 2016-2017

Friday, September 18, 2015

The first of the many weeks to follow

By Megha Gupta, MBA in International Luxury Brand Management 2015-2016, India

I would relate moving countries to something slightly more stressful than having a bad hair day, or at least that’s the impression my family gave me. I was extremely petrified and super excited about the school, courses and being in a new and unfamiliar place. Yes, I have stayed away from home but nothing has been longer than a 2 hour flight. My evening at the airport came too soon and it was all tears and waving to my entourage a bajillion times and being told ‘you are overweight ma’am’ and nearly replying with ‘I know, ok?! I have slow metabolism. Not everyone is a size 0. God!’ before realising it was a comment on my luggage and then running to the immigration counter in the most unattractive way and making it to the flight half expecting them to slam the door on my face.  

We decided to venture to Paris and see the most obvious monument, the Eiffel Tower in all its glowing glory. Though the magnificent structure has to make no effort to take your breath away, the sparkling lights are the coup de grace. This cultural icon is steeped in history so rich and that it is hard not to wonder and eventually fall in love.

Orientation Day arrived and you could feel the nervous anticipation in the air as everyone gathered to walk to school together. One of the things I learnt that day was that it is very easy to get lost in the school if one is not aware of all the short cuts. Thanks to the Friday session, it was far easier to not feel self-conscious on campus. A lot of us made our way to Cergy Port, a quaint marina next to River Oise which has friendly bars and a beautiful church, and made use of the world’s best ice breaker, wine.  

We had slowly started to warm up to each other and it felt good to know that I was not the only one who was wondering how is she going to get through a class on a Monday, after nearly a decade since being at university. But the first class was fun and a pleasant surprise. 

We started class with the Academic Director and Professor Simon Nyeck. We learnt about the close relationship between different cultures, architecture, aesthetics and a deep yearning for luxury; the appreciation one requires for craftsmanship, savoir faire if you will, to understand the meaning behind exclusive industry. We then met Prof. Denis Morisset, former CEO, CFO, MD for brands such as Georgio Armani and CWF. With him we were introduced to the history and financial data of the brands; the thinking which goes on behind the glass doors which make the products what they are. In the first week itself we had two different study groups and we got talking to people with whom we initially had not gotten a chance to. 

Our residence was lit up with all the smiles of every Luxury student in the evening and it was not uncommon to hear laughter and exciting conversations here and there.  

The amalgamation of experiences of everyone made for an exciting week which helped us take a peek as to what goes on behind those elusive glass doors and the decisions which are taken that build the legacy of the MBA in International Luxury Brand Management program and which make the headlines.